Career success or just moving forward in one's career is only a matter of understanding and applying certain rules:
- Make a decision. It's up to you how you see the job you do. It's not true that there are no possibilities but it's absolutely certain that nothing can change without your will and acceptance. If you are satisfied with your job and if you want more, you are the only one who can change this. But first you have to make a decision: Is this the path you would like to follow or do you desire to change your profession? Please don't underestimate this decision because it should determine your life for a long time. What once decided, should be followed remembering that career is not a matter of weeks or months.
- Invest in yourself. Progress comes only from working on oneself and one's skills. If you desire to move forward in your career, you need to get better than you are now, not for your employer or your customers but most of all for yourself. This means acquiring knowledge and improving skills in the field you have chosen. Invest in yourself and you should seen the profits soon.
- Stay up to date. The world develops every day and so need you. Don't expect that what you know and how you do something will always be the best possible way. Career making requires modifying and adapting your profession to the current needs and development. You cannot allow yourself to stay behind the world.
- Use every chance. The moment you decide what to do and where to go and the moment you start focusing on your career, you should notice chances that can bring you closer to your goals. Use every chance that you can get as sometimes they might not come back. And even if some chances won't bring you anything, learning from mistakes is progress as well. You should always be looking for chances.
- Think and plan. Career building doesn't happen by accident, at least not in most cases. You need to be aware of what you want and how you should achieve it. There is no progress without thinking and planning. If for instance you need to increase you qualifications as this can give you a promotion or help you to find new customers, don't hesitate to take a course. This kind of thinking and anticipating is required.
- It's business, nothing personal. Build your career but try not to take it to personally. Sometimes you will lose battles and the more you see it as personal failure, the more discouraged you get. It takes some time and needs some experience to see setbacks as a natural process of making progress. Don't ponder over what happened. Draw conclusions and remember them next time.
- The nature of a showman. Career is made by those who can attract attention. And this is true for all career models though the recipients differ. An employee needs to be noticed by the one who decides about promotions in the company, an entrepreneur and a business owner need to be recognized by potential customers. Staying in the shadow means staying at the same point of progress.